One bubbling, one fizzing, but not much . . .

• posted by Ancient Weaver
    on

I’m having a go at fermenting veggies for the first time. I’m using glass flip top jars, and a little ceramic ‘sour dough starter’ pot. One jar is nicely filled with mixed veggies, and is bubbling away, rather than fizzing. I used a table spoon of course sea salt to iirc a pint of water, (bottled spring water and I made sure the salt was all dissolved before I added the brine to the veggies).
    The other jar, is only half filled with red cabbage, I added (again iirc) a tablespoon of salt for each 200g of cabbage, squidged it about every few minutes, until it had let out enough juice to dissolve all the salt. I then left it for a couple of hours until it looked like it had enough liquid to hopefully fill in any potential air pockets and a bit over, to cover the top, and I rammed it down into the jar. There was just enough liquid to cover the cabbage, but the jar is nowhere near full. I don’t think that’s the problem though.
    Both jars took a day or two to show any signs of life, but while the mixed veg is still bubbling away, the saurkraut fizzed a bit, for a day or two, and now looks like it’s dead. Although it does have a bubble or two when I loosen the lid in the morning.
    I am wondering if the higher concentration of salt has killed off what few bacteria there were on the very clean and tightly formed cabbage to start with. Is there anything I can do to get it fermenting properly?

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

Why two such different recipes/ methods? What is the recipe author’s background?

Which specific vegetables? Do you know how each were grown (eg. organic, hydroponic, outdoor field) and prepared for sale (scrubbed clean, rinsed in dilute chlorine, plastic packed)?

Other variables include how you sterilised the jars and equipment, how well you measured the ingredients (scales/ level measuring spoons), storage conditions during fermentation (may favour certain microbes).

• posted by Ancient Weaver
    on

Both have turned out really nice in the end so it doesn’t matter, but thank you for trying to help 🙂

I presume that I can reuse the brine when I do another batch of whichever?

Please log in or register to post a reply.