Olive Oil Quality

• posted by GordonB
    on

Can anyone provide information on high quality Olive Oils, which are not adulterated with other oils?

• posted by ozsparkle
    on

hi Gordon,
    If you can afford olive oil made in Australia they are some of the purest. One that is sold in a dark bottle helps to protect the oil. MM will be making a list when he gets a chance in the meantime steer clear of oils made in Italy as they are the most likely to be adulterated according to the note by MM on this website and in the book.

• posted by RobinW
    on

The situation for olive oil availability maybe about to get worse, as when in Umbria this summer in an area where they’re proud of their oil (around Montefalco and further west near Todi) everyone was in despair because of disease attacking the olive oil trees and also an insect attack which had decimated the flowers earlier on. Some tree species seemed to be doing ok but others are predicted to have a tiny harvest this year.
    They are relatively small producers around here and if you have holiday you’ll get to know them well (visit and taste in the cantinas) and the variety of cold pressed extra virgin oils they produce. They’re also all very keen on slow food ideas, not to mention their lentils.
    Kind farming friends gave me one of their few remaining bottles from last year but said they doubted they’d have anything this November.
    If you search around this area most producers seem to be pretty good and genuine and will show you their production.
    Our friend’s oil which in a normal year one can buy on the farm is a fantastic yellow green colour with a fruity light almost lemony taste and has quite a late kick on the back of the throat , which maybe the oleocanthanol, but I’m guessing here.
    So it will be interesting to see if the price of oil changes. But this is just one part of Italy , whether other places have had the same problems. Maybe other people know…

• posted by Ger45
    on

Can anyone advise me whether any of the main supermarkets sell good quality Olive oil and extra virgin oil?

Please log in or register to post a reply.