Newbie – Kefir & Yeast intolerance ?

• posted by jussyb
    on

Hi there,

I suffer from IBS and have recently found out I am possibly intolerant to potatoes and yeast thanks to doing a hair sample test (??).
    A friend today recommended I try Kefir but I’m not sure if it’s a good idea or not. I really don’t want to make my symptoms worse and at present feeling rotten.

• posted by GrahamSPhillips
    on

Sorry but a hair sample test is completely devoid of any logic or any scientific or clinical evidence that is has the least meaning. So please don’t base ANY decisions on it. Kefir is probably a reasonable thing to try but you could start with a less potent pre/pro-biotic such as kombucha or saurkraut. Alternatively I highly recommend Symprove which is one of very few (maybe the only) probiotic to have undergone clinical trials (take a look at their website)

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

Jussyb: a carefully structured elimination and reintroduction diet is the scientific way to identify food intolerances. Start with a detailed food and symptom diary (p.187 of the Clever Guts book) with no additions or subtractions to your usual diet. Weigh, measure and log every last mouthful or sip.

The potentially beneficial microbes in kefir and some other fermented dairy products are bacteria and yeasts! However you would be wise not to introduce kefir until you have satisfied yourself you don’t have an intolerance to the sugars or proteins in dairy.

Please log in or register to post a reply.