Microbiome stool testing advice sought for UK resident

• posted by Number 2
    on

Hi,

Having read the book and logged onto this website I am somewhat confused about where to access Microbiome stool testing for a UK resident, as the references seem to be for availability in US, Israel and Australia etc.

I would like to ask if anyone has found a company who has the test for a reasonable price for someone in the UK. The book refers to the test being available for less than £100.

If testing is available would it be possible to post the name, contact details and price etc. please?

Thanks in advance to anyone who answers and shares their experience and details of where a UK resident can access the stool testing.

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

British Gut Project.

• posted by GrahamSPhillips
    on

Hi Number2 its not that simple. British Gut is cheap but you get what you pay for. BG gives minimal detail. I would suggest you consider what you are trying to achieve. Suggest you post some more info and I’ll try to advise

• posted by Lizzie53
    on

I’m new to the forum – did anyone give advice re: microbiome testing in the UK? The British Gut project doesn’t give analysis BTW so not an avenue I want to pursue. Currently using probiotic but no improvement to IBS with constipation and severe stomach bloating. Feeling quite desperate – have tried so many things to no avail. I’m thinking if I got my individual gut flora tested I’d have a chance in improving things. Been suffering for over 3 years now and tests and advice from Guy’s in London haven’t helped or solved my problem.

If anyone can recommend a UK company that doesn’t charge a fortune and is reliable that would be a good start for me.

on

Hi Lizzie53 yes as above I’m happy to advise but you won’t find anything below £100. I recommend 2-3 different testing labs but it all depends on budget and outcome. You need to budget around £400 for testing plus advice. British Gut is excellent and cheap but its research and you won’t get any interpretation nor any detail. You broadly speaking get what you pay for I’m afraid. Graham

• posted by Lizzie53
    on

Hi GrahamSPhillips
    Thanks so much for reply. Yes please would you tell me which 2-3 testing labs you would recommend? How do you know about them?
    As I said, the British Gut project isn’t something I’m interested in as they don’t offer detailed info and personal analysis which I think I need. If you could let me know which companies you recommend that would be great.
    Many thanks
    Lizzie53 🙂

• posted by Lizzie53
    on

Graham
    If you could post which labs you recommend that would great?
    Many thanks
    Lizzie

• posted by Romany Girl
    on

Hi Lizzie, I’m a newbie here too – saw your question and it was exactly what I came on here to ask about. I have just found a company called Atlas Biomed Group that do the tests – costs £139 +shipping. I’ve just ordered a kit, so will be back in 5-6 weeks to let you know how it goes! I don’t think we can put links on here, so just do a search for them.

Hope that helps.

• posted by Lizzie53
    on

Romany Girl – thanks – that is very helpful – how did you find them? Do they test and also give you a complete individual gut profile and advice e.g. which type of probiotic would be suitable for your individual gut needs? Hope you don’t mind my asking?!

Really appreciate you posting this info 🙂

• posted by Romany Girl
    on

No probs!
    I’ve been researching it for a while and actually saw an ad on Facebook and then Googled them.
    This is what it says:
    The Atlas Microbiome Test analyses the types of bacteria present and their proportion in the overall microbiome. It provides information about the various functions of your gut bacteria, like the extent to which they protect you against certain diseases and inflammation, as well as what vitamins they synthesise. You will also get recommendations to improve and maintain the balance of your microbiome by adding specific foods to your diet.
    Atlas uses advanced technology to analyse the DNA of your gut bacteria. Unlike conventional laboratory analysis, the Atlas Microbiome Test not only qualitatively determines the composition of bacteria, but also calculates the proportion of the different types of bacteria in the microbiome.The 16S rRNA sequencing that is used for the Atlas test is more sensitive: it can detect bacteria that cannot be cultivated in Petri dishes (the method routinely employed by laboratories for stool sample analysis).

Check them out 🙂

• posted by Lizzie53
    on

Hi Romany Girl
    Thanks so much – I only had a lead for a lab in Germany but cost I was given today was prohibitively expensive so really grateful to hear about Atlas. Will contact them.

Would be great to hear how you get on and I will report back too 🙂

on

Googling will bring up various labs. Ubiome, Atlas etc. It really depends what you want out of it. In every case, the report alone won’t be enough and you will likely need some additional advice to interpret the results and decide what changes you want to make. Hope that helps. Good luck. Graham

• posted by pw1976
    on

Hello – did you go through with Atlas in the end? I am thinking about signing up. Shame that Day2 is not yet available in the UK.

• posted by Topcoach
    on

I used Atlas and found their product well designed and easy to use. The results are well presented and give detailed advice as to what you should do to change your diet. It also identifies areas where you are at higher risk of various diseases. I too was uncertain as to the scientific basis of the analysis and recommendations but, upon probing further, I found that a lot of work had gone into the product design and suggested they explain this in more detail for those customers who wish to know. Inevitably, my delving gave customer support more to do than they envisaged but they responded extremely well. Overall, very professional and good value for money.

on

I agree, Atlas and Ubiome are fine. But you need to be very clear what you want out of it before chucking a load of money at it, and you’ll likely need someone to interpret the results irrespective of which provider you go for..

Please log in or register to post a reply.