Long term gut issues candida?? Hoping Clever guts can help! + biome testing?

• posted by badfoodrising
    on

Hi!!
    Have just found this site but have followed Michael on Trust Me I’m a Doctor and seen various articles he has authored. I have been suffering long term problems with extreme gas (both ways!), usually after eating or drinking, it can even be just tap water that will trigger it, but also when urinating (or trying to) which seems to have baffled my GP & urologist now I have been referred for chronic bladder retention.
    I have had long term fungal infections, ringworm/tinea, thrush and strongly suspected candidiasis in GI and GU tracts (leading to gas and thrush) which I put down to excessive prolonged steroid prescription as a child for asthma & ezcema.
    I have had a look at the biome testing options for the UK, British Gut and Atlas DNA, but both seem to only mention sequencing of bacterial DNA, not candida yeasts? Does anyone know whether they do actually sequence for this too?
    Looking around the web I’ve seen interesting suggestions that D,L-2-hydroxyisocaproic acid (HICA) which is produced by some Lactobacillus species can inhibit the biofilm on which Candida grows, but I’m not clear whether you can get this on prescription or whether you have to seek out from sports supplements sellers online? Also not clear whether taking various Lactobacillus probiotics as supplements would allow creation of this acid in the body (also do the pills endure the stomach acid to pass into the gut etc.)?

http://europepmc.org/articles/PMC4035295

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

I wonder if part of the issue with gas is mechanical: HOW you eat or drink and how yor body processes that, including (but not limited to) size of mouthful, efficiency of chewing, gulping or sipping drinks, posture during and after eating and drinking, dysfunction of nerves or muscles involved in digestion and excretion. Signals or activity can get muddled or altered after injury, surgery, difficult pregnancy or birth …

I am unclear which route(s) corticosteroids have been administered: oral tablets and/ or inhaled and/ or topical creams? Similarly I am unclear which site(s) are affected by yeast/ fungal infections. Skin, vagina, urinary tract, mouth? WHO suspects an overgrowth of Candida??

Be aware that many aspects of diet, lifestyle, genetics, environment and self care interact in the health of our skin barrier.

In skin health consider weather/ season/ ambient temp and humidity, frequency temperature and duration of showers, sweating, residues of ALL personal care/ household and laundry products …. Even if apparently well rinsed.

Also be aware that a history of eczema/ dermatitis in one area means that ALL our skin is atopic, or genetically weakened or ‘at risk’. Aldo that reactions or symptoms are often cumulative, the ‘straw that broke the camels back’ not one or even two true causes.

HTH!

• posted by badfoodrising
    on

Hi!
    I am not sure the gas/bloating is a posture thing. It’s possible certain foods and drinks make it worse, or calm things down i.e. I think I’ve noticed wine will reduce it, I think I need to do some specific testing – remove certain food and drink types for different meals and/or for a number of days.
    The steroids I was prescribed during my childhood was for severe asthma – i.e. inhalers and nebulisers, and also steroid creams such as betnovate for chronic eczema. Pretty much ever since that I have been susceptible to chronic persistent fungal infections such as athletes foot, ringworm, tinea manis, tinea capitis, and genital candidiasis which is cured by anti-fungals. I haven’t had any confirmation of candida within the GI and GU tracts but I highly suspect it due to the recurring candidiasis & the extreme bloating problems.
    I have also had long term depression/bipolar/anxiety which it now seems may be connected to my gut issues

Bercik, P. et al. The intestinal microbiota affect central levels of brain-derived neurotropic factor and behavior in mice. Gastroenterology 141, 599–609 (2011).

http://www.gastrojournal.org/article/S0016-5085(11)00607-X/fulltext

Bercik, P. et al. Chronic gastrointestinal inflammation induces anxiety-like behavior and alters central nervous system biochemistry in mice. Gastroenterology 139, 2102–2112 (2010).

http://www.gastrojournal.org/article/S0016-5085(10)01006-1/fulltext

Please log in or register to post a reply.