Lid on or off

• posted by Sarah Small
    on

I can’t work out from the recipes or videos if you are supposed to leave the lid off or on after squishing sauerkraut into the jar…please help!

• posted by recoveringfatty
    on

Hi Sarah

Lid on is best to keep any nasties from falling in. Remember gas will build up during the ferment which could cause the jar to explode if its sealed tight. I like to use jars with airlocks which gives the best of both worlds however I also use normal swing top type Kilner jars. With these I either don’t put the rubber sealing ring on the jar and close the lid or make sure I open the lids a couple of times a day during the rapid fermenting stages (first week or so). With screw top type jars just don’t screw the top on tight so gas can escape, it all depends on the type of jar you have.

Hope that helps

• posted by Sarah Small
    on

Thank you! That’s really helpful. Hoping to try making my first batch of Sauerkraut tomorrow 🙂

• posted by recoveringfatty
    on

No problem Sarah, good luck
    I made x7 the recipe (again!) last week so you can tell how much I like it……
    other things I’ve done are lacto fermented pickled onions (yummy) carrots, runner beans (surprisingly good) and piccalilli, all things 12 months ago I’d have never considered eating…..

Please log in or register to post a reply.