Is intermittent fasting a good idea if you are underweight?

• posted by LydieRosie
    on

I like the sound of the benefits of intermittent fasting except weight loss. I am only just underweight (bmi 17.8) but don’t want to lose more. Does anyone else modify the fasting, or just leave that bit of the plan? Thanks.

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

Which specific intermittent fasting plan are you asking about modifying? Some are quite prescriptive, others are very flexible. Dr Mosley encourages us to personalise our experiences and thus personalise the health benefits.

Whether someone is likely to lose weight depends on many factors, including their fat mass/ muscle mass, physical activity levels on fasting and non fasting days, available energy intake on fasting and non fasting days, how often they fast, how long they fast for, how much or little the IF protocol differs from their ‘normal’ diet and lifestyle …

• posted by LydieRosie
    on

I was looking at the 5-2 diet suggested by Dr Mosley. I note that he now only fasts one day per week, which may be more sensible. I guess I would naturally compensate for the calorie restriction on the non-fasting days.

Please log in or register to post a reply.