I need help with a programme for possible Gastro oesophagus reflux (GORD)

• posted by IKeeptrying
    on

Hi I’m not sure where to post this are I’m not really a newbie but I’m looking for advice. I’ve suffered with digestive symptoms for a few year or more, I get acid reflux, difficulty swallowing food at times, indigestion, IBS, grumbling, windy at both ends, feel bloated often, I’ve a cough since before Xmas. I try to manage it by looking for trigger foods and situations and avoiding them

I finally went to my GP and he’s referred me for an urgent endoscopy, my appointment is this Saturday. I know I shouldn’t jump the gun and assume things but having googled my symptoms it sounds like I have GORD or/and hiatus hernia. I want to try and manage it myself with a bit of help from medication

I need to lose weight too, my BMI is 28!! I’m annoyed with myself that I’ve got myself into this state, as my mum would say, I’ve let myself go. I’m reading that the Mediterranean diet combined with a clever guts diet might be best and I’m wondering if anyone has any advice they can give me.

I’ve been dipping into cleverguts on and off for a while but somehow I haven’t stuck with it. Perhaps now is the motivation (shock) I need

• posted by IKeeptrying
    on

Anyone??

• posted by IKeeptrying
    on

Hi I had the gastroscopy this this morning – not pleasant! it seems from the initial diagnosis that my oesophagus is inflamed and I’ve got GORD and been given 4 weeks of omaprazole and I’ve to go back in 4 weeks and see how it’s going.

I think it’s been exacerbated by us having a long running building project on our house and not having a working kitchen for some of this time. Also I had an awful hacking cough/ cold virus after Xmas – as my mum would say – I’m probably run down!

The advice I got from the hospital is to eat little and often and avoid spicy and acidic foods. Oh, and to try to lose weight!! I want to try to manage this as far as possible by diet although I’ll take the medication for the four week period. I’ve been looking all week at diets and eating plans til they’re coming out my ears! I think I prefer a Mediterranean/ anti inflammatory type approach.

Has anyone got any experience of this and can give me some advise

• posted by GrahamSPhillips
    on

Yes mediterranean diet would help. Definitely avoid sugars carbs and processed foods. Take a look at dietdoctor.com too

• posted by IKeeptrying
    on

Thank you for your reply Graham. There’s not much activity on here these days.
    I’m 4 days into taking the Omeprazole 40 mg and I’m starting to notice improvements. I’m seeing it as the kick up the rear that I’ve needed to sort myself out.

I’m thinking I’ll cut the processed foods and carbs out and eat a Mediterranean type diet with added pre and probiotics and fermented foods- a sort of CG /BSD combo – and eat less I’m also going to walk more and I’m going to get my bike out of the garage.

Thanks for recommendation for the diet doctor – I hadn’t thought to look on his site. If you or anyone has any advice or support let know
    Thanks

Please log in or register to post a reply.