Hypothyroid

• posted by Efalump
    on

Anyone Hypothyroid? I’ve tried loads of regimes trying to lose weight – it sneaks on little by little, seems to beyond control !!! Help

• posted by Suoon2bthinner
    on

Are you taking thyroxine? Have you actually been diagnosed hypothyroid? I have been taking thyroxine for four weeks, after two sets of bloods showed a worsening of my levels, starting to feel a bit more lively but not much and the weight is still there 😟
    Hoping to start it shifting, gp said it would take six weeks for meds to take effect so keeping hopeful.

• posted by Catananche
    on

I’ve been on thyroxine for a decade and have lost 6 stones (put a stone back on when I went hypothyroid again at Christmas and needed to up my dosage). My most successful methods of losing weight have been either calorie counting via MyFitnessPal or 5:2 (losing on average 0.75 pound a week over a year). I much prefer 5:2 as I don’t need to count calories on 5 days. I’ve also realised that I need to keep up my exercise (HITT, walking, strength) and NEAT to keep the weight off. My average calorie burn is 2800 per day (via fitbit HR) and I can maintain my weight or lose a bit on 2000 so I’ve learned that I don’t need to drop my calories too low either, that just leads me to crave all things sweet. But honestly I didn’t start to lose weight for months after I started thyroxine: I just assumed it would fall off, but I hadn’t realised how disordered my eating and exercise habits had become (no appetite during the day except for caffeine but then overeating in the evening and inactive from the overwhelming tiredness and lethargy).

on

I was hopeful weight would fall off but gp laughed at that idea, so I guess serious effort will be required, if only I wasn’t feeling so old and knackered….

• posted by Efalump
    on

Thank you for replies all Hypothyroid sufferers. I’ve spent the last 17 years, since diagnosis, trying to keep weight off. I liked the 5:2 diet; whilst I didn’t lose any weight, at least none was added!. Perhaps now I’ve dropped calorie intake too low, I have since gone on one of those VLCD regimes, with a ‘lightweight’ meal in the evening -still hoping to be smaller.

• posted by oysterpearl
    on

I have been on thyroxine for over a decade. There is no quick weight loss, I have found a consistent exercise regime and for me walking at least 8kms per day will take the weight off but once I stop then it returns. It has always been a constant battle and fatigue creeps back in. Since being dx with Coeliac I have tried different menu plans which are starting to have some effect. Great to see that there is a blog on Hypothyroid and I will check in with interest for future comments. Cheers and have an awesome day.

on

I have just started thyroxine and also having tests for other stuff including coeliac, can I ask what symptoms you had for that oyster Pearl? I have toilet issues in the mornings only, wierd.

Please log in or register to post a reply.