How does fasting affect the microbiome?

• posted by Adamy
    on

Hello all, I’m curious to know what effect fasting has on the microbiome? Whilst I generally IF during the week-1 meal a day, I’m increasingly aware of the need to help my gut bacteria. I’m curious what effect longer casts have on the microbiome-say 7 days or more. Any thoughts??

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

Have you read Dr Mosley’s book ‘The Fast Diet’? I have only dipped in, but the section entitled ‘The future of fasting’ (p.162-164) may interest you. You might also search PubMed, Google Scholar and other reputable medical websites for the impact of weight loss surgery on health, including that of the gut microbiome.

The longer and/ or more frequent the fast the greater the risk that the body receives insufficient overall calories, proteins, essential fats, fibres, vitamins or minerals to maintain healthy organs and other tissues. There is fine line between strict fasting and starving: the less we eat the more important it is that meals are nutrient dense and balanced, and that the diet is medically supervised.

HTH!

• posted by GrahamSPhillips
    on

Also follow Dr Jason Fung and Prof Tim Spector on Social media!

• posted by badfoodrising
    on

Fasting helps with the survival of probiotics while passing through the stomach according to the 2014 UCL study.

• posted by Steve-Ward-Nutritionist
    on

Here’s an interesting article on why the gut may actually benefit from intermittent fasting:

https://medium.com/lifeomic/why-your-gut-microbes-love-intermittent-fasting-5716948281a3?fbclid=IwAR3wN_aXAxd8DJ7ukRZjuSuFKooFu9PKpw6E7fdTXH3Uz8RSQP7hOFRMKus

“Intermittent fasting and other forms of dietary restriction, together with intake of fiber and other gut microbe enhancing foods, can theoretically increase insulin sensitivity, reduce inflammation, enhance immune tolerance and tissue repair, boost mitochondrial function, rid the body of damaged senescence cells and ultimately increase health and longevity.”

• posted by minimax
    on

“Gesund durch Fasten. Mehr als nicht-essen: Fasten ist Bestandteil der menschlichen Natur und Kultur. Wissenschaftliche Untersuchungen belegen jetzt die große medizinische Kraft.”. Interview/doc with a molecular biologist, an internist and a psychiater http://www.3sat.de/mediathek/?mode=play&obj=78304

Please log in or register to post a reply.