How are *you* getting a variety of veg & fruit?

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

In ‘The Clever Guts Diet’, Dr Mosley advises to “include at least seven portions a day of veg and fruit, made up mainly of vegetables. And make them colourful. Variety is important for gut health, so try to eat 20 to 30 varieties a week.” (p.191)

How do you plan to hit this target?

Will you be ‘flying solo’ on the diet, or eating as a household?

Are you on a budget?

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

I live alone but am blessed with a decent amount of kitchen cupboards and a freezer. I am now on long term sick so low-ish income. I don’t have a sunny windowsill to grow anything. My plan is to eat:

*Longer life fresh vegetables*

Red onion
    Shallots
    Carrot
    Beetroot
    Purple cauliflower
    Long green bell peppers
    Red/ yellow/ orange bell peppers

*Shorter life fresh vegetables*

Green onions
    Romaine lettuce
    Baby spinach
    Mixed colour tomatoes
    Avocado
    Chestnut mushrooms
    Baby corn
    Sugarsnap peas

*Frozen vegetables*

Edamame/ green soy beans
    Leeks
    Mediterranean veg

*Longlife vegetables*
    Canned tomatoes
    Sunblush tomatoes
    Dried shiitake mushrooms

*Occasionally/ should be more often!*

Fine asparagus
    Watercress
    Frozen kale
    Frozen celery
    Frozen butternut squash

*Fresh fruit*

Green apples
    Mango

*Frozen fruit*

Redcurrants
    Blackcurrants
    Blackberries
    Blueberries
    Cherries
    Rhubarb

*Longlife fruit*

Dried sour cherries
    Block creamed coconut
    Canned ruby red grapefruit

*Occasionally/ should eat less often!*

Dried pineapple
    Dried mango
    Banana.

• posted by AARA
    on

HI FireFox7275,

Thank you so much for all your helpful posts. Please keep up the good work of informing us and helping to make it affordable. I started to try to improve my Gut Health last Summer and it has made a huge difference. I still feel very restricted by a combination of being on a very limited budget and not being well enough to cook or prepare anything beyond a hot drink or a snack. I rely on a carer preparing my main meal of the day and her time is severely restricted, as you might expect.

Shopping is difficult and much of the time and my local Supermarket does not sell at least half the ingredients of a typical recipe aimed at improving the health of you Microbime/Microbiota. And to crown it all my fridge/freezer is a 1980’s vintage with a very small freezer section.

Yet against those odds I have gone from 10 prescriptions a month and a GP who was determined to add three more to the list, to being on no prescribed medication at all. Not bad for someone whose surgeon considered I had the most aggressive and destructive Rheumatoid Arthritis he had ever seen in his entire career. So I must be getting a bit of some of what I am trying to do right.

Thank you for all your time skill and for sharing your knowledge so generously.

AARA

Please log in or register to post a reply.