Had enough

• posted by Woodymo
    on

Hi am new here. Does anyone else suffer from digestive issues, i.e. I can’t go out for a meal in the evening without suffering later in the night i.e. 2 or 3am with a pounding heart and bloating, made worse if I have a glass of wine. I have to sit bolt upright and try and sleep that way!! I’ve suffered this all my life. I was diagnosed with hiatus hernia, mild gastritis and IBS. It’s getting to the point where I refuse invitations! I could handle it in my 20s/30s etc but I’m 69 now and it’s depressing me. Sorry for the long post.

• posted by Allicie
    on

Hello Woodymo
    Sorry to hear about how you feel with your disease. You know youe diagnosis and you just need to foolow doctor’s instructions. Also you may visit psycologist because it may be kinda of psychosomatics.

Take care!

• posted by ibsguy69
    on

Hi Woodymo. I have had similar issues in the past e.g. eating certain foods (meats, soy sauce, vinegar etc.)/drinking alcohol and struggling with insomnia and a pounding heart late at night. Fortunately, I no longer experience these symptoms. What I have come to learn is that TWO different things can cause me these symptoms.

1. Acetic acid (or acetate). Acetic acid can be found in foods like vinegar and some fermented foods. Fun fact: upon consumption, alcohol is converted to acetic acid (in large amounts). Acetic acid is also produced by specific gut bacteria in response to certain foods we eat. Acetic acid has been shown to alter the levels of the excitatory neurotransmitters glutamate, glutamine and GABA in the brain. This may cause you to experience symptoms such as anxiety, insomnia, restlessness, palpitations etc. I have experienced these symptoms first-hand when taking a probiotic for months. This single strain probiotic contained an acetic acid-producing bacteria called B. lactis HN019. If you are taking any probiotics or eating fermented foods, please consider checking if they contain acetic acid in large amounts or acetic acid-producing bacteria.
    https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fendo.2020.00025/full https://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/aa72/aa72.htm#:~:text=First%2C%20ADH%20metabolizes%20alcohol%20to,for%20easy%20elimination%20(2).

2. Foods such as the ones listed above (meats, soy sauce, vinegar etc.) that contain high levels of biogenic amines such as histamine, tyramine, phenylethylamine, putrescine, cadaverine, and spermidine. Long story short, like acetic acid, these amines can also cause excitatory symptoms (or ‘histamine intolerance’) in certain individuals. However, biogenic amines are NOT inherently ‘bad’ and thus should not be cut from your diet. The real issue for many is they are not breaking down and clearing these biogenic amines like a normal person would. For me, the reason I was retaining biogenic amines is because I was molybdenum deficient. Molybdenum is an essential mineral that acts as a cofactor for many important bodily processes such as detoxification. Molybdenum is CRUCIAL for the production of sulfate. And sulfate is CRUCIAL for the detoxification process ‘sulfation’ (or sulfonation). It is this detoxification process ‘sulfation’ that removes biogenic amines from the body. I decided to try a molybdenum supplement (500mcg) and within just three or four days my late night symptoms had completely resolved. I now take 150mcg molybdenum daily and have not had issues with food since.

In summary: If taking probiotics, consider stopping them for a period of time. Also consider taking a molybdenum supplement.

• posted by Tess_Sully
    on

Hi, I know how you how you feel I have a HH as well, I can be fine for months and then out of the blue I’m feeling terrible, bloated, nausea, burping, sore throat. I also follow the acid watcher diet book by Dr Johnathan Aviv which is really informative, Im also using a medical device called iqoro which seems to have helped a lot. They are also certain exercises that can help have a look on you tube.

Please log in or register to post a reply.