Gut health in ostomates

• posted by buchanak
    on

I would really like to ask Michael this question but in absence does anyone know the science…….I’d be really interested and grateful for your thoughts.
    I have had a colectomy. I have no colon, only small intestine. I have always been a believer in good gut health and tried to eat fermented foods and anything else that promotes good gut health. I was talking to my Gastroenterologist about my love of kefir and asking if he thought it was worth having after my op. He said ‘no’ that it was a waste of time. That it was aimed at building good bacteria in the colon and I didn’t have one anymore, just to eat what I fancy and not worry about these things.

The more I think about it the more I find that really strange. Surely the bacteria that once lived in my colon has to recolonize somewhere else – like the intestine – other wise all sorts of things would start to go wrong with my system.

So the question really is – what happens to your gut micro biome when you have your colon removed.

• posted by Ageinggracefully
    on

I’m also interested in this as my mother had a colonectomy 25 years ago and now has dementia. My father’s diet has been low fibre for this time, with negative health impacts. Now they’re living with me I’m trying to find a diet that supports the health of my father and I that doesn’t mean cooking differently for my mother.

Please log in or register to post a reply.