Fast 800 and is my IBS diagnosis just a "we don't know" diagnosis?

• posted by K2
    on

Hello,

I’ve joined here in my vain attempt to basically eat without my stomach doubling in size. I have been diagnosed with IBS but it seems to be a diagnosis arrived from “your stomach gets enormous, you sometimes have gas, all the tests are clear, you must have IBS”.

I’ve had the camera up and down (all clear), I’ve kept food diaries (can’t pinpoint anything), but my stomach looks like I am about to give birth 3 times a day, and deflates to flat if I go without food for about 3-4 hours. I have googled and have heard there is a medical difference between a bloated stomach and a distended one, whereas I thought they were the same thing. I don’t know which I have then.

Because of this, I don’t know whether to follow the Fast 800 and only include low-FODMAP foods or not. Is there a low-FODMAP version, with recipes/meal plan anywhere that I could try?

Can anyone else see themselves in what I wrote and did you make a breakthrough to discover what is going on and how to stop it?

Thank you!

• posted by needsomehelp
    on

It was like reading about myself! so frustrated by multiple attempts to find source of problem. At the moment am finding best results by having small meals i.e. dividing normal portion 2/3 and having other third later in the day. Although this helps there are still days of constant nausea and dreadful diarrhea. Any suggestions very welcome. BTW I take a pro-biotic and IBS over the counter relief.

• posted by Dorsetcream
    on

I too suffer from bloating although mine increases steadily during the day and deflates overnight. Also acid reflux at night time which I think is exacerbated by pressure of a bloated abdomen. I have had a dramatic improvement of symptoms from following the restrictive phase of the low fodmap diet and am now at the point of reintroduction. I already know I can’t eat anything with inulin in it. How do you ever achieve a good balance of good bacteria in the gut if you have to restrict certain food groups, especially if they are veg and fruit? I’d really like to know if there is any medical research on this.

Please log in or register to post a reply.