Cooking Pasta/Rice, cooling and reheating

• posted by mantis
    on

Looking at trying the above method for altering the starch in my Pasta and Rice. Do I fully cook the Rice/Pasta (suitable for serving) then put it in the fridge and later reheating it in the microwave, or do I 2/3 cook it then cool it, then reheat enough to finish cooking it?
    Thanks

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

Resistant starch research is very much in its infancy, so its unlikely anyone knows the ‘best’ cook/ cool/ reheat protocol.

For practical reasons I would cook pasta, potatoes and rice to ‘al dente’: such that a quick nuke doesn’t ruin the texture. It would be a challenge to boil potato chunks in two stages without the nutritious skin falling off!

My family all have rice cookers: so steaming basmati rice without any stirring or agitating. Steaming leaves the individual grains in excellent shape to be microwaved without ending up soggy/ sticky/ mushy.

Apparently steamed rather than boiled rice and basmati rather than short grain rice, have a lower Glycaemic Index, so are gentler on the blood sugar. I wonder if this has to do with resistant starch.

• posted by jillyB
    on

Firefox 7275

Read your resistant starch cooking comments with interest. About 6 months ago, or more, I read about this somewhere and thought it worth a try as I love pasta and rice. Everyone thought I was crazy, even I wondered ! But as I am an insulin dependent diabetic so had nothing to lose. I tried pasta first , and it worked. I think I was more surprised than anyone. I let it cool in the fridge overnight and gave it a zap in the microwave the next day. It certainly worked wonders on my BS but was a bit tough, so next time I reheated it with a quick dunk in boiling water and it was great…and I am pretty fussy with my pasta, used to make my own but am getting too old and in poor health so rely on Barilla now.
    Then I tried rice…..the same result. I was cross that I had avoided potato salad most of my life as this would have been OK as it was cold. Ah, well ! Hope this helps .
    jillyB

• posted by jillyB
    on

hi, mantis,

I have experimented with pasta and rice and found the best method for both. I cook either for about a minute less than normal [ al dente ], pop in fridge over night, then drop in boiling water just to get it hot. I also keep the big saucepan with original water, seems to keep the flavour better.
    Being a diabetic, this allows me to have pasta and rice which I really love. My blood sugar barely goes up.
    Hope this is useful for you.
    jillyB

• posted by Rowan
    on

Hi I am new. I am part way through the book and am hooked. It validates many things I have done and tried on myself and family.

I had seen other posts about the benefits of reheating pasta and other starches. However I have some questions on what re-heating does the nutrients in the foods? Also what are the best methods? Does anyone have any data on this?

• posted by Beeornot2be
    on

HI, I’m new to the forum. I’m just starting my second read of the Clever Guts book. We cook a lot of Asian food, and like the fresh rice noodles we can buy locally in Sydney. Pure rice, but in a pasta noodle shape.
    I can’t find any mention of where the fresh rice noodles would fit on the resistant starch scale – they are not really cooked before eating, just immersed in boiling or boiled water for a minute or less. They would become a gluggy mess if cooked longer, or a second time. I’m not sure what amount of cooking they may have had in their production. I’d be grateful If anyone has any idea or information?

• posted by Kandake6
    on

Hello, I just want to know if marijuana mix with food because of what I read in the article. It is used to make the aroma more scented https://www.bonzaseeds.com/blog/blue-god/. Do I have something else to know? Your advice is fully accepted.

Please log in or register to post a reply.