Antibiotic Damage

• posted by TrinaR
    on

For several years I had to take antibiotics on a regular basis for infection in my salivary glands. Although this problem is now sorted I regularly get upper respiratory infections during the winter which always require further antibiotics. I want to strengthen my immune system and repair any long term damage caused by the antibiotics. Any advice would be very gratefully received

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

Antibiotics don’t necessarily damage the body – aside from the microbiome – some even have anti inflammatory properties!

For a healthy immune system in winter: be physically active (10,000 steps a day), eat a balanced and varied wholefood diet inc. oily fish and other seafood (omega-3s/ vitamin D/ zinc), get regular lunchtime sun exposure (vitamin D). In the UK this applies May to October only: at this latitude UVB is too weak otherwise, ditto late in the day. Please discuss supplements with a medical professional (risk of overdose).

For respiratory health: do not smoke, limit being in places where people have smoked, be vigilant with asthma monitoring and meds, ventilate the home/ workplace/ car daily *all year round*, keep on top of any damp or mould issues. Damp is often inadequate ventilation: warm air is wetter than cold air so heating is not the solution.

• posted by TrinaR
    on

Hi there. Thank you for your advice. I get regular exercise and eat healthily but I am still prone to these infections. I want to improve my bicrobiome to help build my resistance. I am loving the healthy gut diet book and researching other ways to hopefully improve my health.

Please log in or register to post a reply.