Advise please

• posted by Naddy
    on

Hi there, quite often in the book you mention IBS, but nothing about diverticula disease. I have been hospitalised twice with this now and don’t want a 3rd. Will the clever guts diet help with my symptoms and help prevent future episodes ???

Thank you.
    Naddy

• posted by GrahamSPhillips
    on

What dietary advice have you received from the hospital?

• posted by SteveA
    on

Hi Naddy, sorry to hear you have diverticula disease. In 2010 I was hospitalised for 4 weeks with diverticulitis, ended up with massive abscess, drain inserted through abdomen wall etc etc, nil by mouth for the duration, tube fed antibiotics and food though another line. Not a nice experience but I probably don’t have to tell you that!
    After discharge from hospital I stumbled upon Dr Moseley’s 5:2 diet via a friend at work, I weighed in at just under 16 stone and was convinced my history of eating poorly had contributed to my diverticula problem. In just over 18 months my weight dropped to 13 stone. I now follow the 16:8 style of eating (eat between 12pm and 8pm, usual don’t eat past 6pm though) and I eat very healthily, loads of salads, veggies, eggs, fish etc and steer clear of sugar, refined cabs, bread, white pasta, white rice etc.

After reading the Clever Guts books I also now drink apple cider vinegar mixed with freshly squeezed lemon juice every morning, lunch time and b4 bedtime. Make my own full fat yoghurt and just starting to make homemade souerkrout to aid with gut health and take one 100% Organic Kelp capsule everyday too.

Since starting 5:2 / 16:8 and follow the Clever Guts Diet I haven’t had any flare ups at all. Also I don’t take any notice of the ‘don’t eat anything with pips, seeds etc as they will get trapped in your diverticula’ train of thought.

So to sum up intermittent fasting, looking after your gut, not eating rubbish really works for me!

Hope all my waffling helps and hope you have a healthy future with no more bouts of diverticulitis!

• posted by Susiegoozee
    on

I have just been diagnosed after colonoscopy with diverticulosis two pockets not inflamed. Strangely I have never suffered with constipation if fact the opposite so don’t understand how I got them. I do however love curry and very hot so wonder if this is the cause. I eat very healthy no rubbish eats lots salad and veg and go to gym 3 to 4 times a week.

Is love to know what caused it but I am now going to be more careful no more hot curries and will look into the Apple cider vinegar and kefir. Any advice very welcome.

• posted by Naddy
    on

Hi all
    Firstly Steve , thank you for you detailed reply, i found it very helpful.
    Graham , i had no dietary advise or follow up from either of my week long stays.

For the last 3 and half weeks i have been following an a amended version of the clever gut diet , i couldn’t do the full version due to lack of finances and time to plan, but have hopefully got it as near as possible.
    I have gone gluten free and increased my fibre intake by eating more fruit and veg as well as adding chia seeds to my cereal. Also cut out caffeine and drinking mainly water and taking the apple cider vinegar.
    I have got so much more energy and am so much more alert , which has been a real benefit as i drive up to 700 miles a week.
    My only worry is that over the last week my bowels have become very loose and urgent. Can anyone explain why. ??
    Thanks

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

Have you been completing the detailed food and symptom diary, with weighed and measured quantities?

Given you have an existing gut condition, it would be safest to discuss any worsening of symptoms with your family doctor. They can also refer to a dietician. Your food diary will help either/ both.

• posted by GrahamSPhillips
    on

Hi Naddy: I agree with Firefox- we’d need a detailed before-and-after food diary to say much more. Maybe you are making too many changes too fast but again the food diary would tell so much more.
    Graham

Please log in or register to post a reply.