5:2 Diet for Healthy People

• posted by Josie.Wilks
    on

Hi all,

I’m wanting to do the 5:2 diet with my husband. For me, it’s just as much about weightless as anything else as I sit at 120kg (173cm tall). So I know that this is the right choice for me, but my questions is for my husband.
    At this stage he’s presented no significant health problems (like diabetes) and he’s in a healthy weight range (175cm and 65kg) with good waist measurements. But there are so many health benefits from fasting outside of just weight loss and his current diet isn’t very healthy in general let alone for his gut health.
    Is it safe for him to do the 5:2 diet? Having 2 days a week at 800cal and the other 5 with a healthy diet based off the Mediterranean diet? Or would it need to be altered so that he doesn’t lose more weight?
    If it should be altered, how so?
    I’d also like to know this for myself for when I get back to a healthy weight range.

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

Fasting in moderation can certainly be used to maintain weight and maintain overall health. Having said that do consider that lack of diagnoses or absence of major symptoms doesn’t mean there aren’t underlying issues such as a chronic low level of inflammation or mild deficiency/ insufficiency in one or more nutrients (vitamin D, omega-3s, magnesium are common).

Rather than your husband emphasising restriction at this stage it would make more sense to focus on eating a really wide variety of nutrient dense wholefoods

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

Once both eating healthily according to Clever Guts and/ or the 5:2 Diet books as well as becoming more physically active, you can easily adjust overall energy intake on non fasting days by eating more Mediterranean foods which are rich in fats. So very oily fish, olives and their oil, avocados, certain nuts and seeds, traditional cheeses.

Do reread the 5:2 Diet book for further guidance on maintaining results. And do consult your family doctor if you are concerned about safety. HTH!

• posted by KylieM7
    on

Dr Mosley said in The Clever Guts Diet that because he doesn’t want to lose any more weight he does 6:1 (i.e only one day of fasting). Perhaps this is an option to consider?

Please log in or register to post a reply.