Freeze excess onion and celery for this storecupboard standby.
• 120-150g can sardines in tomato sauce
• 1/2 stick celery
• 1 long OR 2 mini yellow bell peppers
• 1 small red onion
• 2 cloves garlic
• 6-8 yellow cherry/ grape/ mini plum tomatoes
• 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
• 1 tablespoon dry or sweet sherry
• 1 tablespoon lemon juice
• 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
• 1-2 teaspoons chipotle (smoked chilli) paste
• Fresh parsley, to garnish.
• **all spoons are level not heaped**
Dice the bell pepper, onion and celery. Halve the tomatoes and chop/ crush the garlic. Separate the sardine meat from the tomato sauce.
Over a low to medium heat, fry the celery and bell pepper in half the olive oil until softened. Add the onion garlic and remaining olive oil, fry until the onion is translucent.
Add the tomato sauce, sherry, paprika and chipotle paste; cook for another few minutes. Add the fresh tomatoes to the pan and allow to soften but not lose their shape.
Quickly stir in the sardines and lemon juice, garnish with parsley and serve immediately.
Works with any combination of: salad leaves, chickpeas, brown rice, hardboiled or poached eggs.