Yogurt makers?

• posted by Kajsa
    on

Hi, any recommendations on a yogurt maker? Seen the Lakeland one but a few reviews on Amazon seem to say the temperature settings gets out of hand after a few months of use. Your thoughts would be useful.
    Many thanks, Kajsa

• posted by Turmeric
    on

I’m looking into this too Kajsa. I am thinking of going for the Easiyo system. You don’t have to use their sachets but can use milk and some live yoghurt. I seem to have so many electrical items in the kitchen so didn’t really want another one.
    Or you can use just an container such a Pyrex jug or bowl and keep it in the airing cupboard to ferment. I think Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall, Jamie Oliver and Nigel Slater have recipes online using this method. I didn’t really fancy my husband rummaging around in the airing cupboard while there’s a big bowl of yoghurt in there. Could be messy!

• posted by June1767
    on

Just bought it. Excellent on 1st use. Obviously can’t comment on further down line.
    I also bought 1pkt dried Bulgarian culture off ebay. Followed instructions on pkt added milk put in yogurt maker. Worked perfect x will reserve some of 1st batch to culture next one. X

• posted by June1767
    on

Fir those looking for dried culture have a nosy at this one one eBay. Very same type I bought.
    Ebay number.. 112415265875

Read item description for more info x

• posted by Kajsa
    on

Sorry to be dim, but what make did you buy?
    Heave Read a few are using a slow cooker as well to make yogurt!!

• posted by June1767
    on

Bought Lakeland yogurt maker from amazon x

• posted by Kajsa
    on

Lakeland yogurt maker is HALF price at the moment at Lakeland!! £10 for it with 3 year warranty!!! 👍🏻😄

• posted by NannyA
    on

Hi June, did you buy the Lakeland one? Thinking of getting one myself.

• posted by NannyA
    on

Sorry ,just realised you said the Lakeland one. Is it easy to use?

• posted by NannyA
    on

Thanks June, typical! !
    I’ll take a look, thanks for the info.

• posted by June1767
    on

I know my luck
    I bought the yogurt maker.
    Then I went on ebay and bought 1 satchet of Bulgarian yogurt Starter culture, cost £1.44.
    Made yogurt then kept some back for the next batch I made. Worked perfect this morning.
    I would probably buy a box of 5 next time costing £4. So every 2/3 months start fresh to get the culture going from scratch again. More good gut bacteria x
    If you want a nosy go to ebay and put this number in ~
    Have look and read the item description good luck huni x

• posted by NannyA
    on

Morning June 17 67, I purchased the Lakeland yoghurt make and also the culture from eBay .I used whole organic milk ,left it for 8 ours as suggested in instructions. It came out as a set yoghurt .Just wondering how yours turned out.what should I do differently so it’s not set ,I do like thick yoghurt but when it’s a set one not so easy to use for making dips and things with it,because when I did stir it had a curdled look to it ,tasted fine though.
    Any tips gratefully appreciated.

• posted by June1767
    on

Yep. Same. Try using semi skimmed milk.
    Also I made my next batch by keeping some of the 1st lot I made & adding semi skimmed milk. Came out thinner. X

• posted by NannyA
    on

Thanks June ,I am going to use some from this batch to start the next .I’ll try semi skimmed too.Thank you.
    Did you leave it for 8 hours?
    Ann.x

• posted by June1767
    on

Yes. Same procedure as before. Let me know how you get on x

• posted by NannyA
    on

Yes, I will thank you x

• posted by steeprock
    on

Hi
    I’ve started making my own yoghurt, batch 1 was from a starter powder then batch 2 & 3 from 4 spoons of the previous. The first 3 batches came out nice & thick & smooth a bit like Greek yoghurt but number 4 came out lumpy and slightly cheesy and very sharp/acidic, anyone got any ideas what I did wrong? I know I need to start again with the starter powder but I don’t want to repeat whatever mistake I made.

• posted by TdF1315
    on

I have been making yogurt with the Lakeland 1-litre electric yogurt maker twice a week for 18-20 years years without any problem. Simple to use, easy to clean. Highly recommended. In fact I also bought a spare inner bowl at the same time (I see this is still available.)
    I prefer making a big batch rather than individual servings. It also make more sense for me as I prefer to drain the whey for a thicker yogurt.
    I bought a cheap and cheerful yogurt maker from Lidl for under £10 purely for the glass jars, as I recently started making yogurt with the Instant Pot using UHT milk and I wanted to start with small quantities. My comments about this here: https://www.everynookandcranny.net/instant-pot-uht-milk-yogurt/

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

*Note that TDF1315’s blog post is advertising the product/ contains affiliate links.*

I don’t see the logic in using Ultra High Temperature (UHT) milk when making yoghurt for the probiotic content. Yes bacteria may cause pasteurised or raw milks to ‘spoil’, but controlled spoiling is exactly what yoghurt and cheese are!

The natural microbes in products made with non UHT milk *may* even add to the health benefits. There are interesting studies on Roquefort and Pecorino Romano cheeses, both of which are made with (very fresh) unpasteurised/ raw milk. Dr Mosley, Prof. Tim Spector and other experts advocate a wide variety of probiotic microbes and prebiotic foods.

• posted by TdF1315
    on

*Note that it is not my intent to advertise product or affiliate links. The link in my previous post is merely for info.*

Allow me to clarify my comment: I did not offer any opinion about the pros or cons of using UHT milk and my original post was made in reference to the original question “any recommendations on a yogurt maker?”
    I mention using UHT milk because I had the opportunity to buy several litres at a very reasonable price and I wanted to test yogurt-making in an Instant Pot.

Over and *definitely* out.

• posted by Kajsa
    on

I want a more thicker greek style yougurt so I drain mine. First used a cheese muslin cloth but found the cleaning of that a bit taxing so have now started to use melitta coffee filters and that works an absolute treat!!! 👍🏻

• posted by Gaelichick
    on

Easiyo system is fantastic with out using their sachets. I have made youghrt successfully with powered milk and a couple of tablespoons of natural yoghurt with the easiyo containers – makes it easy. Anyone tried it with organic milk and yoghurt?

• posted by Wal
    on

You don’t need a yoghurt maker to make yoghurt, just a cooking thermometer. For several years I have made it in the following way. Boil full cream milk (I use milk from a local dairy farm, not a huge conglomerate), adding a pinch of gelatine to help it set. Pour it into a screw top jar. Let it cool to 47C, then add several spoonfuls of good quality plain yoghurt and stir to combine. After the first batch you can use some from your previous batch ad infinitum.
    Have the oven heated to 60C, then turn it off. Wrap the jar of yoghurt in a towel and place in the slightly warmed oven for 4 – 5 hours. It becomes more tangy the longer it stays in wrapped in the towel in the oven. Remove and put in the fridge.

• posted by SteveA
    on

I use the Lakeland yogurt maker, full fat UHT and started off with 3 teaspoons of natural organic proprietary brand (I now keep some back for the next batch) keep the yogurt maker going for about 9 hours and this turns out absolutely fab, can’t fault it, great for my porridge but not too set for making a fab salad dressing.

• posted by Ronnie2418
    on

Have used the Progurt incubator which has been very effective for me. You use it with Progurt sachets (1 trillion CFU) and UHT milk. Incubation takes 14-24 hours, depending on the thickness you’re after. Makes a great-tasting yogurt with plenty of live bacteria, so no trouble in recommending it.

• posted by Ian Spencer
    on

I just use a cheap slow cooker. It’s seems to work very well. There are plenty of easy recipes on You Tube. I prefer Greek style yoghurt, so I strain it but that leaves me loads of whey. So far I use that up to make my porridge in the morning. Has anyone any other suggestions for using whey?

Please log in or register to post a reply.