Salicylates

• posted by JennyC
    on

I am both salicylate and amine sensitive – amines may give me a feeling of being unwell, salicylates give me vulvitis. I have been on the RPAH diet for 3 years, which works well, but any attempt to introduce foods such a broccoli give me a flare up and I am back on antihistamines. A slight improvement after eating yogurt has meant I can have the occasional coffee, and lately I have been experimenting with nuts and seeds. However, I am not sure about trying the elimination diet. Should I just take some good probiotics? Anyone else out there with this kind of food sensitivities? Thanks

• posted by Vassily
    on

Hi, Jenny,
    I have been sensitive to salycilates and amins my whole life (49 years) without even realising it. I had eczema, migraines and was slightly overweight (BMI 26). 1.5 years ago I finally found a good dietician who put me on the elimination diet and we discovered my sensitivities. I have been on the extended elimination diet for a year and felt quite well, if I did not stray from it too far. But I love spices and diversity of fruits and veggies and sticking to that diet was not easy for me. 2 months ago I bought the Clever Guts Diet book and after reading it started to experiment with myself. I followed Michael’s recommendations and ate all those wonderful spices and veggies that have been out of bounds for me before. On top of that, and I consider it a major point, I have loaded myself with fermented foods: kefir, sauercraut (started to make it myself), kim chi, natural Greek youghurt, kombucha, etc. I also completely abandoned sugars in any form except apples and some other not-too-sweet fruits (oranges, for example, but not mangoes or grapes) and went gluten-free, as I suspected to have a light form of IBS. It worked like a charm! Even though I would have had a reaction to many of those spicy foods loaded with salycilates before, it has not happened yet! Besides, I have lost 7kg within a month since the start of this experiment and keep counting! My BMI is under 24 now and I feel great! My skin feels and looks the best in my life!
    This is my experience and I hope you will find your way through your problems!
    Cheers!

• posted by JennyC
    on

Thank you so much for this encouragement. I will try more fermented foods and less sugar.

• posted by Eagle
    on

Vassily are you still on your amine and salicylate diet and have you ever taken antibiotics.

• posted by JennyC
    on

I am taking apple cider vinegar twice a day as I had beeturia after eating Beetroot which confirms I have low stomach acid. Looking back I can see that my food problems became worse after a major operation so an antibiotic link for me.

Please log in or register to post a reply.