Salicylates

• posted by JennyC
    on

I am both salicylate and amine sensitive – amines may give me a feeling of being unwell, salicylates give me vulvitis. I have been on the RPAH diet for 3 years, which works well, but any attempt to introduce foods such a broccoli give me a flare up and I am back on antihistamines. A slight improvement after eating yogurt has meant I can have the occasional coffee, and lately I have been experimenting with nuts and seeds. However, I am not sure about trying the elimination diet. Should I just take some good probiotics? Anyone else out there with this kind of food sensitivities? Thanks

• posted by Vassily
    on

Hi, Jenny,
    I have been sensitive to salycilates and amins my whole life (49 years) without even realising it. I had eczema, migraines and was slightly overweight (BMI 26). 1.5 years ago I finally found a good dietician who put me on the elimination diet and we discovered my sensitivities. I have been on the extended elimination diet for a year and felt quite well, if I did not stray from it too far. But I love spices and diversity of fruits and veggies and sticking to that diet was not easy for me. 2 months ago I bought the Clever Guts Diet book and after reading it started to experiment with myself. I followed Michael’s recommendations and ate all those wonderful spices and veggies that have been out of bounds for me before. On top of that, and I consider it a major point, I have loaded myself with fermented foods: kefir, sauercraut (started to make it myself), kim chi, natural Greek youghurt, kombucha, etc. I also completely abandoned sugars in any form except apples and some other not-too-sweet fruits (oranges, for example, but not mangoes or grapes) and went gluten-free, as I suspected to have a light form of IBS. It worked like a charm! Even though I would have had a reaction to many of those spicy foods loaded with salycilates before, it has not happened yet! Besides, I have lost 7kg within a month since the start of this experiment and keep counting! My BMI is under 24 now and I feel great! My skin feels and looks the best in my life!
    This is my experience and I hope you will find your way through your problems!
    Cheers!

• posted by JennyC
    on

Thank you so much for this encouragement. I will try more fermented foods and less sugar.

• posted by Eagle
    on

Vassily are you still on your amine and salicylate diet and have you ever taken antibiotics.

• posted by JennyC
    on

I am taking apple cider vinegar twice a day as I had beeturia after eating Beetroot which confirms I have low stomach acid. Looking back I can see that my food problems became worse after a major operation so an antibiotic link for me.

• posted by Mandy S
    on

I have issues with salicylates and completed the elimination diet about 20 years ago. My symptoms range from mild to severe including difficulty swallowing and facial swelling and respiratory wheeze when severe to foods containing high levels of salicylates. I have recently been experimenting with fermented foods including kefir, sauerkraut and sourdough bread. I am a bit nervous about trying a lot of the recipes as they contain a lot of things that are high in salicylates, any advice?

• posted by Eagle
    on

I have problems with amines and I recently tried drinking alot of kombucha as it is a fermented drink and I got bad food intolerance symptoms. I might try a variety of fermented foods like the lady above, but I also might try staying off amines for a year first.

• posted by JennyC
    on

Mandy you have my sympathy. your symptoms sound like an allergy rather than just a sensitivity – you may be able to get medical help? I just get a nasty skin condition from foods high in salicylates and severe indigestion from amines in some meat. Chicken from the butcher is ok. All the new experiments and research are fascinating and they mainly seem to emphasis the need for more probiotics for gut health. Apple cider vinegar and kimchi gave me side effects, so now I eat a lot of plain Greek yoghurt for breakfast with some pear and a plain cereal or porridge. I am reducing the amount of sugar and processed foods such as biscuits, and trying to eat all the vegetables that I am allowed. I also take an antibiotic with L ramnosus. This seems to be helping and I have been able to eat a little more widely and even drink coffee. However it is a long slow process and I still can’t eat much from foods very high in salicylates.
    Best wishes.

• posted by Karla
    on

I have been suffering with symptoms of IBS for > 2years, eliminated glutens, grains, dairy but still seemed to be slammed about once a month with severe symptoms! Last episode I just happened to notice symptom onset after vegetable heavy dinner with spaghetti squash! Looking back doing the detective thing I ran across an article on salicylates and the puzzle started coming together. My flare ups always seemed to increase the healthier I tried to eat! After eliminating all of the above, who would have ever thought those very healthy foods were the culprits! What really solved the puzzle was I had eaten new cassava flour tortillas with CHIA seeds! Spotted an article that CHIA seeds are like taking an aspirin. Puzzle coming together because I already knew aspirin and NSAIDS caused GI problems. My history of asthma/usually perfume related (here’s those salicylates again) tied right in with every article & books I have read Elimination diets are challenging but for the first time in 2 years I feel like I can finally get this under control. Seems like all the foods I love are on the very high salicylate lists! Fresh greens, organic berries, all those fresh herbs I grow and cook with, coconut & olive oil, the list was staggering. Started by focusing on the things I can have and am now 3 weeks in and after 2 weeks of excruciating detox I can now say I think I can do this. Key is prebiotics, good digestive enzymes, I’m using fish oil supplements and calcium:magnesium for detox. Most effective relief seems to be deep epsom salt soaks every other day. Once my gut has a chance to heal may try to add back small amounts of foods that were eliminated before the salicylate puzzle clicked!

• posted by Kate33
    on

Hi Jenny. I have exactly the same issues as you! I have been on RPAH for 8mths and can manage medium salicylates and a tiny amount of high ones. My biggest kryptonite is oil of any kind, even in fish. My gut has issues as well, which is why it is taking longer to see results. I have found ‘pushing through’ for a few days when introducing small quantities of new foods can help me get to a better place, despite it feeling unpleasant at the time (retraining the nerves to not see food as a threat). I am happy with my progress. At the moment I have introduced mung bean sprouts and they make me feel completely normal everywhere. Gains are slow but I am determined not to give up and be at the mercy of food. Are you still doing RPAH?

• posted by JennyC
    on

Isn’t it frustrating to be sensitive to all the foods being recommended for gut health!! I am trying to eat the foods that digest slowly- celery, cold potato etc and I think the yoghurt is helping. A little occasionally from the high lists works for me, and yes oils are a problem- rice bran oil seems to be ok. I suspect that some foods such as fruit juice, capsicums will always be off limits for me. However everyone is different. Best wishes.

• posted by JennyC
    on

I forgot to mention that I think stress makes it all worse so eating mindfully and slowly or having gentle music on or trying to be less stressed generally might help.

Please log in or register to post a reply.