Ready-made (bought) Yogurt

• posted by Gussmithy
    on

It seems that it is beneficial to change from a low-fat live yogurt to a more fatty one. Dr Mosley’s “Clever Guts Diet” book refers one to this website to see notes of bought yogurts that have been tested but I cannot find these details on the website. Can anyone help, please?

• posted by GrahamSPhillips
    on

Take a look at KEFIR (available from any polish shop) or better still make your own (its not hard) I followed Michaels lead and did the course at The Fermentarium in London (lots of info on youtube too)

• posted by Lynne68
    on

I too have searched for the list of commercial yogurts without success. I do not want to make my own, I want to find the list as mentioned in the book.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Most full fat greek yoghurts I have found have information about their live cultures on the packaging somewhere. From my local shops these include Milbona, Tim’s Dairy, Fage Total, and Yeo Valley but I am sure there are others available around the world. I sometimes use these as a starter to make my own using whole milk or gold top usually, and they have all been successful. Some supermarket own brands are good as well, particularly the Waitrose 1 full fat greek yoghurt.

• posted by GrahamSPhillips
    on

Yep but yoghurts have a much narrow range of microbiota than Kefir – why it why it seems that Kefir confers greater health benefits

• posted by kathb
    on

What are the recommended yogurts that Dr Moseley mentions in his book….he said that they are on the website but I can’t find them.
    Thank you.

• posted by Emma212
    on

As someone with chronic fatigue syndrome, it’s immensely difficult for me to just ‘make my own’. I’m disappointed that the yoghurts and some other products he refers to are not on the website. It’s nice to read a book – but the critical part is taking action and applying it to your life. It’s sad that the second key part has not been so easy to implement.

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

Emma212: Unfortunately any wholefood diet is a huge challenge to implement for those of us with health conditions affecting our physical and/ or mental energy.

The problem with store bought ‘fresh’ fermented dairy is we have little control over the conditions (esp. temperature) from factory to table. Your best options are to try a few live yoghurt brands over time, as well as several traditionally made mould ripened cheeses, or cheses made from unpasteurised milk.

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

Emma212: Dr Mosley advises that “it might be helpful to do remove and repair in several stages” (p. 190), and to consider avoiding all dairy products until phase 2 reintroduction. You may find that, by the time you are ready to reintroduce yoghurt, you have enough energy to take your first steps towards DIY fermenting. My fingers are crossed for you!

If you have any spare money, gadgets can be super helpful – to prep those prebiotic rich vegetables and/ or to prep probiotic rich fermented foods.

Please log in or register to post a reply.