Proper Cheese …

• posted by Davek
    on

Hello there!

Has anyone done any research on what are “proper cheeses” and who sells them?

• posted by Kajsa
    on

Yes, was thinking the same. It says about cheese; ” look for live and active cultures on the food labels” ….”you will need to read the labels to be sure.”
    But WHAT is it I’m suppose to look for? Any hints would be very much appreciated!

Many thanks,
    Kajsa

• posted by Davek
    on

Thanks Kajsa

That’s my point really, maybe I’m shopping in the wrong places but I haven’t seen anything on labels to indicate “live or active cultures”, just the regulation nutritional guidelines.

Regards Dave

• posted by Phoebe12
    on

I’m puzzled by this too, but have come to the conclusion that it’s a proof-reading error. ‘Live or active cultures’ surely refers to yoghurt, not cheeses, which are normally described as made with pasteurised or unpasteurised milk. Perhaps Michael could enlighten us?

• posted by Cirrus
    on

You can make your own soft cheese by draining yogurt. If its live yogurt it will be live cheese. Use muslin in a seive drain for 12 hours in the fridge. Add salt and maybe herbs then drain some more; you can tie the muslin into a ball and suspend it using a chopstick or just continue in seive. Drain in fridge until it is as firm as you like it. A threadbare teatowel works if you dont have muslin or cheese cloth. Might need a couple of layers of muslin or cheesecloth.

• posted by KatieRae
    on

Hi. You might find this useful:

http://www.5spokecreamery.com/raw-milk-cheese-a-natural-source-of-probiotics/

This is an American cheese company but there are loads of fab raw milk cheeses made in the UK that are sold in delis. (American artisan cheesecakes use our traditional cheesemaking methods!). Try looking at The Guild of Fine Food website for your nearest one.

Some of my faves…Quickes Cheddar, Montgomery’s Cheddar, Appleby’s Cheshire, Kirkham’s Lancashire, Tunworth, Stichelton, Colston Bassett Stilton….I could go on all day!!

• posted by Bizibee
    on

Most of the artisan cheeses in the uk use live cultures even if the original milk is pasteurised and for some it’s not. The thing to avoid is anything that looks more like plastic than cheese and most of the ones that come in boxes of little triangles!

I too make real soft cheese, not with yoghurt but with lemon juice to start the curds forming, using full fat milk not skimmed.. Once it is solid enough to mostly stay in a muslin, tip it into one and let it hang overnight. You can use rennet too, though it’s hard to get these days and some people don’t like it.

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

Cheeses made from unpasteurised milk, mould-aged or rind-washed should contain probiotics. There are published studies on Roquefort and Pecorino Romano (both from unpasteurised ewe’s milk).

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

Many European PDO (defines method, origin, name) cheeses are made from unpasteurised milk or are mould-aged or rind-washed. In the UK these are widely available in grocery stores.

HTH!

Please log in or register to post a reply.