Prescribed antibiotics

• posted by Rockchick94
    on

Hi, we have been on Clever Guts for a few months and feel so much healthier. I have recently had a very painful cystitis attack and prescribed antibiotics. I resisted for a couple of days because I was worried about my gut health but after three days of agony ( yes I tried everything) I’m now on antibiotics and feeling much better.

My question is what can I do to rebuild my biome? Can I limit the damage? Im eating yoghurt, upped my kimchi and sticking to Clever Guts diet, any other suggestions?

Thanks everyone

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

Some antibiotics are more selective and some are more broad spectrum (act on many species of bacteria).

The Clever Guts Diet is flexible, individualised according to symptoms, personal taste, food availability, household budget … It is well worth periodically reviewing to ensure the balance or variety have not slipped. You might consider repeating the detailed food and symptom diary.

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

Ensure you are having a really wide variety of probiotic and prebiotic foods each day and each week, in order to feed a balanced and varied microbiome. So (for example) kefir and unpasteurised/ rind washed/ mould ripened/ goats or sheep milk traditional cheeses not just cows milk live yoghurt.

Also consider the balance of nutrient dense foods from different groups. So plenty of oily fish and other seafood, not (say) overemphasising chicken and beef. Plenty of seeds and pulses, not (say) overemphasising nuts or grains. Bright and dark coloured vegetables and berries, limiting sugary and starchy ones.

HTH!

• posted by Clare (CG Admin)
    on

Hi Rockchick94
    Glad to hear thatyou are feeling so much healthier. As a GP we probably should be recommending using using probiotics more often after antibiotics. This is in addition to Firefox7275’s excellent advice. After a bit of research and discussion with our excellent pharmacist we have been impressed by VSL#3 (see link below), if you looking for the bacteria supplements too.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/VSL-Probiotic-Food-Supplement-Pharma/dp/B01ASEIYU0/ref=sr_1_1_s_it?s=drugstore&ie=UTF8&qid=1509399843&sr=1-1&keywords=vsl+3+probiotic

One of the best probiotics with an excellent range of bacteria and containing 450 billion per sachet and a good mix of the right probiotic strains. High quality product, more costly & best kept in fridge.

We are infact in the process of uploading a more comprehensive list of suggested products to the ‘Merchandise’ tab as there is an overwhelming number of options out there! Will let you know when the page is uploaded.
    all the best
    Clare

Please log in or register to post a reply.