Help antibiotics

• posted by supermum
    on

i am on a course of antibiotics due to bad infection (no choice). by the end of this course it will be 4 weeks. i have another 2 weeks to go. is there any point having kefir and ferments etc whilst taking antibiotics. should i boost myself with some probiotic tablets. should i just give up and wait until over and then heal and nurture my gut through healthy foods. any advice, thoughts?

• posted by Gita
    on

I too would like some advice about the best probiotics for after antibiotics. I just finished a heavy duty course of antibiotics for infected fluid in the lungs and pericardium, resulting from an ablation procedure for AF, plus, plus. My gut is so very not happy and I would like to know if there are specific strains available commercially I can take to help fermented foods along (these being more long term remedies). I’ve just taken 5grams of a super strength 14 strain BioCeuticals probiotic and my gut is talking up a treat! I have seen some mention elsewhere of specific strains which are miracle workers – which I cannot find again or remember – and, believe me, I could do with a miracle right now.

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

Supermum & Gita: sorry to read of your recent health problems. I hope you are both ‘on the mend’ by the time you read this.

It is always worthwhile eating a properly balanced and very varied wholefood diet, including probiotic-rich foods (unless you have been medically advised to avoid these). A healthy, anti inflammatory diet supports the body as it recovers from the physical stress of an infection or other illness.

Any given prescription antibiotic is effective against some groups or types of bacteria, not against all bacteria nor are they effective against other potentially harmful or potentially beneficial microbes (fungi/ moulds/ yeasts). Different probiotic-rich foods contain different bacteria/ fungi/ moulds/ yeasts, hence experts advocate consuming a wide variety of such foods.

Any supplements should be discussed with an appropriately qualified health professional (prescribing doctor/ pharmacist/ registered dietician) who has access to your medical history.

HTH!

Please log in or register to post a reply.