Frequent diarrhoea on holidays is this effecting my intestinal bugs ?

• posted by L3147
    on

I am 70 years old and am very fortunate to be able to take many holidays abroad about 8 last year. I always seem to get diarrhoea every holiday and on one occasion campilobacter and the other just holiday tummy which is sorted out by a few doses of over the counter medication. After watching an informative programme on tv it made me think could all this be having an effect on my intestinal bugs. I eat a very healthy diet fruit salads and plenty of veg but my weight seems to be difficult to control in fact out of control
    Can anybody advise the best place that would offer testing with results that I can understand. I would be unable to attend a London clinic which I have seen advertised but hope somebody could recommend an online service which gives results that I will be able to understand
    Any advise would be much appreciated

• posted by GrahamSPhillips
    on

Hi There
    It depends! The basic testing (cheap but limited info) is British Gut (try googling). You get a limited report and not much interpretation. There are several players in the market – and you get what you pay for to some extent. In my experience, whichever service you opt for you will still need someone to interpret the results and make suggestions. Are you happy to invest £200-£400 in which case there’s lots out there. There’s no need to physically attend a clinic. The sampling kit is posted to you and you post it back. Thereafter support can be by email, phone and Skype/FaceTime! Lots of options. Hope that helps. Graham

Please log in or register to post a reply.