Candida

• posted by Susanma
    on

Hi
    I think I have Candida , history of IBS type symptoms, diagnosis of IC. The Clever Guts diet has helped my digestion immensely, bloating gone and normal stools. However I think Candida is still present in my body… wake with thickly coated teeth, still experiencing IC symptoms, especially urethral burning. So thinking I need to do more to get rid of it, my question relates to the kefir and fermented foods. Given most anti Candida diets suggest no diary or fermented foods, should I avoid kefir and fermented veg? Thanks Susan

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

Where are you in the Clever Guts process? Did you remove and reintroduce foods slowly and stepwise (p.190 + 193)? Have you been maintaining the detailed food and symptom diary (p.187) before during and after each cycle? Are you maintaining balance and variety within and between food groups?

It is not ideal to self treat a self diagnosis by restricting the diet for anything more than a short period. This can cause or worsen micronutrient deficiencies or imbalances.

If possible consult your dentist, family doctor or a registered dietician. Your detailed diary will be invaluable here. The conditions you mention could suggest low grade systemic inflammation, or irritation affecting part of the nervous system, or that a medication has affected the oral microbiome (via reduced saliva, antibiomicrobial action).

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

A proven treatment for oral thrush – Candida – is an anti fungal mouth rinse such as nystatin (prescription only in many countries). You may find this improves symptoms in other areas, since inflammation in the mouth/ gums can spread.

Diet wise you might check the balance and variety of fermented dairy products (live yoghurt/ traditional cheeses, from cow/ sheep/ goat milk), amount of oily fish (for immune boosting vitamin D and anti inflammatory omega-3s), and a really wide variety of brightly coloured non starchy vegetables (minimal sugary fruits).

Some with IC find that acidic foods worsen their symptoms, and both kefir and fermented vegetables can be quite acidic (natural sugars convert to acids). Traditional aged cheeses are less so because much of the lactic acid is lost when the whey is drained from the curds.

HTH!

Please log in or register to post a reply.