Amine, glutamate and gluten intolerance, mental & physical symptoms

• posted by Eagle
    on

Does anyone have amine, glutamate or gluten intolerance. How were you diagnosed and what mental and physical symptoms do you get. Has the cleverguts diet helped.

• posted by Petalista
    on

I have amine, glutamate (and salicylate) intolerances, in fact, I am highly reactive but fortunately have never experienced anaphylaxis. I was diagnosed about twenty years ago after I eventually went to an allergist because I felt so ill, (respiratory and digestive symptoms), and lacking in energy most of the time. Environmental allergens were eliminated and I then undertook the food elimination challenges. This is not for the faint hearted or uncommitted but I had nothing to lose. This established the problem, and when I stick to foods that are low or moderate in salicylates/amines/glutamates I am okay. I was given charts with the level of these chemicals in the food categories by the dietician, (and they are also in the book ‘Friendly Foods’ from the RPA – Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Sydney, Australia). I do believe that a healthy biome is so critical and important, and had in fact seen the TV programs on which (I think) Clever Guts is based. I have tried introducing some foods e.g. fermented – but have had reactions – so unfortunately in spite of their great health value, I can’t persist with them. What has make a huge difference for me with the digestive system was taking probiotics. While I would prefer to obtain nutrients from food, often for me that isn’t possible; (I take probiotics in tablet form). Next for me to try will be the apple cider vinegar – I’ll see how that goes!

• posted by KylieM7
    on

I am sensitive to amines, glutamates and salicylates. The worst is the first two. I get adverse physical and mental symptoms from eating them (extreme fatigue, aches and pains, irritability, depression etc etc(. So I don’t intend to try the fermented foods recommended any time soon. I’m intending to follow the Clever Guts approach in so far as possible with these restrictions.

I was diagnosed by a dietician, following the approach of Friendly Foods from RPAH.

• posted by Kasia
    on

I have gluten, diary and egg sensitivity confirmed by Food Detective blood test (http://www.food-detective.com.au).
    Was tested by my naturopath. Also confirmed those results by another blood test made in accredited diagnostic laboratory.
    My symptoms after eating anything containing gluten included: brain fog, problems with concentration, ached and pains, lack of energy, problems with waking up in the morning – extremely hard to wake up in the morning.
    After avoiding those 3 foods which I am sensitive to for around 1 year I observed that my reaction to them is not that severe anymore and the level of antibodies in blood against those foods are lower.
    I am currently reading “The clever guts diet” and slowly try to implement some recipes and rules from the book for example eating fermented foods every day. I also like the pumpkin breakfast porridge very much 🙂

• posted by Eagle
    on

I am infact amine intolerant and tried some kombucha as it is fermented and supposed to be good for the gut but I got bad symptoms of amine intolerance so I am going to give up on that and not try any more fermented food. I think I will stay on the elimination diet for the most part of a year and maybe tried so medium strength amine foods once my body settles down.

• posted by niklin
    on

I get really bad ibs and whatever else goes on in that Biome
    Apple cider vinegar with mother I was unsure of but is going well.

The pumpking i.e king of breakfast!!! ( squash porridge ) lush
    trying to increase colours and salad which I had shyed away from due to my ibs but going well so far I had narrowed down what I was eating as I was afraid anything would trigger off my gut
    I am gently going with it and hoping to get a calmer gut and mind.
    Farm food mixed berries make great chia mixed fruit jam while non in garden Although I added rhubarb the other day to mixed fruits
    they also top up the chia pots also did some with a few raisins in
    I did a big online order with chia seeds with real food source and other seeds yumm so I am well stocked up

oh and egg free stuff vital for me
    3 1/2 oz buckwheat flour or garam flour tumeric, seeds and coconut oil 2ml /water mix 7ml makes flat breads

mood feels better

• posted by GrahamSPhillips
    on

Hi: might be worth trying some Symprove pro-biotic which at least does have an evidence basis for its efficacy and side -effects

• posted by Glennbev
    on

Hi to all, stumbled over ‘cleverguts ‘ while researching. Love the forums and information provided.
    I am a 63 year old female. I had a thyroidectomy 7 years ago, I have a rheumatic fever heart, I’m pre-diabetic and have intolerances to amines, salicylates, amines and glutamates. Obviously I have a restrictive diet which I’m slowly getting sorted. My husband and I are going to the UK soon. Because of my pre-diabetes my diet has to be low carb and low GI, also I need to have protein for breakfast,lunch and dinner. Because we are travelling privately and staying in a variety of accommodation breakfast will be difficult, I can only have eggs every other day. I’m considering taking some beef jerky with me. The jerky is from grass fed beasts, organic and has no additives. However,because of my amine intolerance I shouldn’t have food that’s preserved in any way.
    Any thoughts? Thanks, Bev

• posted by KylieM7
    on

Raw cashews? Roasted chickpeas?

• posted by GrahamSPhillips
    on

Hi Glennbev: you would certainly be an obvious candidate for microbiome analysis. Meanwhile do post a 10-day food-drink-symptom diary and lets see what that reveals
    Best wishes

Graham

Please log in or register to post a reply.