Everyone’s favourite, traditionally slow-cooked Carrot Halwa made step by step with few simple ingredients.
• 1. 8-9 – medium, tender carrots2. 4 – cups full fat milk or organic (optional)3. 3 – tbsp. ghee4. 1 – tbsp. Freedom Physically Refined Rice Bran Oil
• Sugar as required (as per taste)5. 20-25 – whole cashews6. 6 – green cardamoms, finely powdered7. 1 – pinch saffron strands8. 1 – tbsp. golden raisins
1. To begin with, rinse, peel and grate the carrots with the help of a food processor or hand-held grater and you will need about 4-5 cups of freshly grated carrots.
2. Now, in a kadahi combine milk and grated carrots.
3. Keep the mixture on low to medium flame and bring it to one boil and leave it on simmer, while stirring occasionally.
4. Now the grated carrots cook in milk, while the milk starts reducing and evaporating.
5. When the milk reduces about 80%, it’s time to add oil, ghee, sugar and powdered cardamom and stir well. Oil helps to keep the grated carrots separated and avoids lumping, while ghee adds aroma and earthy taste to the halwa.
6. Now reduce the flame to low and keep stirring in between for about 5-10 minutes till the oil and ghee appears from the sides of the kadahi.
7. It’s now time to add the cashews, saffron and raisins while keeping the flame on simmer for 2-3 more minutes.
8. Your carrot halwa is ready! Serve hot or cold, garnish with dried fruits of your choice.