I have a question. This recipe is called Ginger Carrots, but there doesn’t appear to be any ginger in it? Or am I missing something here? I like the sound of fermented carrots with ginger & fancy having a go at it, but am I meant to add root ginger to the shredded carrots & salt brine mix & then leave to ferment? Thanks
Fermented carrots with ginger – an amazing addition to your salad or goes particularly well with chinese vegetables
• One teaspoon of sea salt
• Three large carrots
• One Kilner or similar jar
• One food bag suitable to hold water (I like the IKEA ones because they are easy to press closed but any will do).
(1) Using a fine grater, grate carrots into clean glass bowl
(2) Mix in the salt
(3) Knead firmly together
(4) Leave for a half hour, a lot of liquid will have appeared in the bowl
(5) Repeat the kneading, squeezing out as much liquid as possible - there will be a surprising amount - this is absolutely normal.
(6) Pack the solid part of the carrots into the bottom of your kilner, pressing down firmly.
(7) Pour the liquid on top so the carrots are fully submerged. If there is not enough liquid dissolve one teaspoon salt in one cup filtered water and add.
(8) Half fill your bag with water and use it to weigh down the carrots so they stay fully submerged pushing it into the top of the kilner.
(9) Ferment for between 3 and 7 days. Check taste on day 3 onwards. When it has achieved the flavour you require remove water bag, seal jar and place in fridge.
(10) Use within two weeks.