Liver is nutritious and cheap. This recipe is for those unsure about the flavour or texture.
• 225g tub frozen chicken livers
• 1 medium red onion
• 2-4 cloves garlic
• 2 tablespoons pomegranate molasses (no added sugar)
• 1 tablespoon grass-fed butter
• 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
• 1 teaspoon Lebanese 7 spice OR ground cumin
• 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
• Pomegranate seeds
• Pistachio kernels
• Live Greek yoghurt or creme fraiche
• **all spoons are level not heaped**
Defrost the chicken livers in the refrigerator. Drain the blood, trim off the connective tissue and 'grainy' meat. Halve the onion then slice into half moons; chop/ crush the garlic.
In a large frying pan heat half the butter/ oil. Fry the onion until just translucent, then add the rest of the butter/ oil, garlic, spices and liver. Fry the meat for a couple of minutes each side, taking care not to overcook it.
Stir in the pomegranate molasses and plate up with the yoghurt/ creme fraiche on the side. Sprinkle the whole dish with pistachio kernels and pomegranate seeds.
Serve with a herby salad or green vegetables: sprouting broccoli, asparagus tips, watercress, parsley all work well.